Quinta da Boa Vista is a municipal park in the Imperial District of São Cristóvão, located in the North Zone of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
It is currently a public landscape complex of great historical value. In the premises of the Quinta is located the National Museum of Archeology and Anthropology, installed in the place of the Palace of the Imperial Palace of Saint Kitts (also called chronologically of Paço de São Cristóvão (1803-1809), Royal Palace (1810-1821), Palace Imperial (1822-1889) and now also as Palace of St. Christopher), this building being a magnificent palace in neoclassical style,
It was used during the Empire of Brazil (1822-1889) as a residence by the Brazilian imperial family, since the proclamation of the independence of Brazil (1822) by Dom Pedro de Alcântara de Bragança, Royal Prince of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarves and, Later, the first emperor of Brazil as Dom Pedro I. Having previously been used as a residence by the Portuguese royal family, from 1808, as a result of the episode known as the transfer of the Portuguese court to Brazil (1808-1822), as Royal family of the Kingdom of Portugal or the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarves (1815-1822).
Also located in the farm was the Leopoldina Palace, demolished in the 1930s to make room for the current Zoo of Rio de Janeiro.
With the independence of Brazil, D. Pedro I commissioned the Portuguese architect Manuel da Costa (1822-1826) from the now Imperial Palace, later replaced by the French architect Pedro José Pézerát (1826-1831), credited as the author of the project in neoclassical style Of the building.
The Paço, which had only one turret on the north side of the main façade, gained another symmetrical one on the South side, and a third floor began to be erected on the two already existing ones. The works were continued from 1847 by the Brazilian Manuel Araújo of Porto-Alegre, who harmonized the facades of the building, followed by the German Theodore Marx (1857 and 1868). Between 1857 and 1861 the Italian painter Mario Bragaldi decorated several of the interior rooms.
After the marriage in 1817, D. Pedro and the Empress, D. Leopoldina, began to reside in the Palace.The birth of the future Queen of Portugal, D. Maria II (April 4, 1819), was born as Her Imperial Highness Dona Maria da Glória de Bragança, the imperial princess of Brazil, and the future emperor of Brazil, D. Pedro II (2 Of December of 1825). Also there died in 1826 the Empress Dona Maria Leopoldina.
Near the Quinta, Domitila de Castro Canto e Melo, the Marquise de Santos, a favorite of the Emperor, lived with a number of children.
In the Quinta grew up, was educated and lived D. Pedro II. Among the reforms that this Emperor undertook in the estate are the enormous works of beautification of the gardens, executed around 1869, with the project of the French landscape gardener Auguste François Marie Glaziou, which, many original characteristics remain until the present day, as the Alameda das Sapucaias, a lake where you can now ride pedal boats and another where you can find an artificial cave where you can rent canoes to rowing.
In the Paço was born, on July 29, 1846, Princess Isabel, daughter of D. Pedro II with D. Teresa Cristina.
Nowadays, Quinta da Boa Vista works as a park, housing the Rio de Janeiro Zoo (with the Fauna Museum) and, in the old palace, the National Museum of Quinta da Boa Vista, administered by the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro . The palace building, in poor condition for decades, is being restored and has recovered the original colors and ornaments of the great facade. Works on the roof, in some rooms and on the side facades are also in the execution phase. However, in the gardens, some of the characteristics of Glaziou have been gradually lost, with the continuous planting of trees of several species on the lawns of the farm by the city council of Rio de Janeiro, without any historical or landscaping studies for its implantation, the park. In addition to some monuments depredated, such as the monument in honor of the centenary of the birth of Dom Pedro II in front of the palace, whose inscriptions are very deteriorated.